Hobbys und Freizeit 🖤❤️💛 ⇢ Hobbies and Leisure 🏑🎻📚🎞️
Published by Roslyn Green in March 2023
This unit was originally developed for accelerated students and would therefore serve ideally as extension material. It includes a downloadable booklet for students; a range of online quizzes, including three audio files with texts to work through; and two Kahoots that can be played amongst students or by the whole class, one on Conjugation and the other about Freizeit und Hobbys.
- gehen – to go (in this example, conjugated)
- joggen – to jog (in this example, the infinitive goes to end)
- Ich gehe gern joggen. – I like going jogging.
- schlafen – to sleep: a vowel-changing verb
- Sie schläft gern. – She likes sleeping.
- essen – to eat: a vowel-changing verb
- Er isst gern Honig. – He likes eating honey.
- fern/sehen – to watch television
- This is a separable verb with an added complication: sehen is also a vowel-changer.
- Sie sehen gern fern. – They like watching TV.
- Siehst du gern fern? – Do you like watching TV?
- Leo German-English Dictionary → search for words
- Linguee → search for phrases
- Einheit 1: Ich lerne Deutsch (Accelerated) | Einheit 2: Über mich (Accelerated) | Einheit 3: Freunde (Accelerated) – not yet updated | Einheit 4: In der Schule (Accelerated)
- Download this unit booklet as a PDF (embedded below)
Crossword: Hobbys und Freizeit | Hobbies and Leisure
This crossword takes you through all sorts of hobbies, with pictures for each one and a lightbulb to click on for help.
This quiz provides practice with identifying and conjugating the vowel-changing verbs – and with talking about a lazy weekend.
Conjugation Quiz: Am Wochenende mache ich gern nichts
Fill in the missing verbs and practise identifying the vowel-changing verbs.
Through this quiz you can revise wording for hobbies and leisure activities. There is also a question in which you can practise the conjugation of können (can, to be able to).
Audio Quiz: Kimberleys Hobbys | Kimberley’s Hobbies
One of my most memorable accelerated students, Kimberley, wrote this text after less than one year of learning German. This quiz includes her text, audio and some very simple questions.
Complete sentences that describe people’s hobbies and preferences by adding gern, lieber, lieber als or am liebsten.
Charlotte grew up in Australia, but she always speaks German with her mother, so she is completely bilingual.